Bryan and I just returned from his family’s trip to the Shenandoah Mountains (relaxing and beautiful and exhausting). I did not use my computer ONCE . This morning was spent catching up on blogs and news and articles I missed. I’ll say I didn’t miss Facebook. But I craved my news and thoughtful articles.
Here’s some of my favorites:
– Out in the Great Alone – A journalist who follows the entire Iditarod: the best long-story I’ve read all year. Absolutely fascinating. Tons of interactive gadgets and so much information. Make your coffee and READ THIS NOW (www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9175394/out-great-alone).
– When We Hate What We Love – One of my pet peeves: When people complain about how much “society” accesses Facebook/Twitter/Instagram – our “problems” were in existence long before this technology we so love to blame (www.challies.com/christian-living/when-we-hate-what-we-love).
– Hands & Feet – Jaimie graduated from my MS-SLP program last year. From her job as a speech-pathologist: witnessing Gospel Love in the real-world is never anything short of bewildering (momentsipaws.com/2013/05/14/hands-feet)
– Love is a Choice – Summed by Madeleine L’Engle: “If we commit ourselves to one person for life, this is not, as many people think, a rejection of freedom; rather, it demands the courage to move into all the risks of freedom, and the risk of love which is permanent; into that love which is not possession but participation,” (deeperstory.com/love-is-a-choice).
– 16 Year-Old Runner Has Long To-Do List – This girl is crazy. But inspiring – I love how much she loves running. (www.nytimes.com/top-16-year-old-runner-has-a-long-to-do-list.html)
– Unequal Protection – Affirmative action reading before the case hits the Supreme Court (www.economist.com/news/briefing/race-based-preferences-around-world-we-look-americas).
– Kelly Cummings’ The Year of Lettering – Gorgeous hand-lettered quotes. (2013yearoflettering.tumblr.com)
– DJ Joe Bunn’s Most Requested Song List – Perhaps the most helpful resource for wedding songs (note: I hadn’t even thought I needed to find a song for cake cutting + the garter toss + the wedding party entrance – THANK GOODNESS for these guys doing our wedding!! – bunndjcompany.com/tools/create-your-song-list)